Saturday, February 17, 2018

Crackle Paste Technique

 
I love how this Wendy Vecchi product adds that additional layer of intrigue to my treasure books and Houdini-Hideaway boxes. This is my Tried and True Technique Tutorial. Happy Creating!!
Supplies black embossing, crackle paste, board, alcohol inks, other inks and acrylic paints for added detail, ink blending tool, thin plastic palette knife, mini natural sponge
1.  Apply a thin layer of black embossing paste on area you want to crackle. I use a thin plastic palette knife and prefer Wendy Vecchi products.
2.  Allow to dry fully.
3.  Now apply a thin layer of crackle paste. I use a thin plastic palette knife and prefer Wendy Vecchi products. The thinner the layer the smaller the crackle effect, the thicker the layer the deeper more pronounced crackle effect.
4.  Allow to air dry fully for best results.
5.  Once dry I add desired alcohol inks to ink blending tool and add this to the dried crackle paste. To lighten sections spray with rubbing alcohol and dry with heat gun. I used tones of purple and blue.

6.  Add depth and detail using additional ink and acrylic paints. I used a Ranger Vintaj Patina Kit.

7.  This would be used as a base or a panel for one of my hand bound treasure books or Houdini-Hideaway boxes
Worth Noting: The desired effect is to have some of the black embossing paste showing through the crackle paste and also along the edges. Use disposable nitrile gloves to protect your hands and also if you do not like being messy. We prefer Grease Monkey brand and buy them at our local hardware stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment