Wednesday, February 10, 2021

In My Heart There Rings a Melody-A Peek-A-Boo Project

My childhood was spent going to church at a small Baptist Church that stood on a hill just about a mile from my county home. There were many restrictions and expectations about what a Christian should look like and behave. I felt trapped sometimes by its dogma. As a gay man I knew that I was condemned to "hell"  and I was an abomination. These words kept me from expressing my true self, but I did grow up with a value system that seems to be missing from much of our world today. I have made my peace with my faith and am thankful for all the darkness it has carried me through. I used to pray that my hope would be taken away because I have known some very deep disappointments. BUT  I am thankful that prayer has never been answered and I have somehow managed to keep a positive disposition through most of this past year. This is the inspiration for this artwork.    

Supplies:  Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Waterworks Shape Set, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Heart of Gears,  Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Sandra Evertson | Filigree Heart - Mixed Media Chips (Pack of 2), Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Leafy Hearts, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Barbed Wire Shape Set, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Wrought Iron Set, Wooden Cigar Box Lid Substrate, Music Song Sheet, Weldbond, ArtFomies Writer's Block, Golden Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold, Transparent Red Iron Oxide, Pyrrole Red, Diaylide Yellow Paint, Lumiere Metallic Rust and Copper Paint, Neon Pink Paint, Script  and Wooden Grain Stamp, Embossing Powders-Red, Metallic Bronze, Vintage Photo. Etched Platinum, Pewter, German Silver, Versa Mark Gel,  Heating Tool, Metallic Blue Nail Polish, Paintbrush, Heavy Books

    1. Attach Song Sheet to Wooden Cigar Box Substrate with Weldbond. This is from a church hymnal that came from Moreland Baptist Church. My dad loved singing in their small choir.

2. Add additional depth and interest using  ArtFomies Writer's Block and  Golden Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold paint and script stamp and pink ink.
3. First Paint Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Sandra Evertson Filigree Heart - Mixed Media Chips (Pack of 2) with neon pink paint.
  4. Paint Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Leafy Hearts with Transparent Red Iron Oxide and Pyrrole Red Paint.
5.Paint  Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Heart of Gears with Lumiere Metallic Rust and Copper Paint.
6.  Layer Hearts to see if there is enough contrast between the three layers.
7.  I felt it needed more contrast and added some acrylic pain first then embossing powders  and  a Script and  a Wooden Grain Stamp. I used these Embossing Powders-Red, Metallic Bronze, Vintage Photo. Etched Platinum, Pewter, German Silver. Cure with a Heating Tool.
8.  At same time Use Versa mark Gel to add Etched Platinum, Pewter, German Silver embossing powders to the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Barbed Wire Shape Set, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Wrought Iron Set. Set with a heating tool.
   9. I layered again and felt like there still was not enough contrast between my layers and added metallic blue nail polish to the base heat.
10. I added some streaks of neon pink to base layer to further unify the pieces.
11. Add all the components creating your assemblage and adhering with Weldbond.
     12. Cover with waxed Paper and add heavy books to make sure all components dry securely and flat.

Some Final Thoughts.

My faith is now best described by Over The Rhine's song "All My Favorite People Are Broken"

All my favorite people are broken*
Believe me, my heart should know
Some prayers are better left unspoken
I just want to hold you and let the rest go

All my friends are part saint and part sinner
We lean on each other, try to rise above
We are not afraid to admit we are all still beginners
We are all late bloomers when it comes to love

All my favorite people are broken
Believe me, my heart should know
Orphaned believers, skeptical dreamers, step forward
You can stay right here, you don't have to go

Is each wound you've received just a burdensome gift
It gets so hard to lift yourself up off the ground
But the poet says we must praise a mutilated world
We're all working the graveyard shift
You might as well sing along

Cause all my favorite people are broken
Believe me, my heart should know
As for your tender heart, this world's going to rip it wide open,
It ain't gonna be pretty, but you?re not alone

All my favorite people are broken
Believe me, my heart should know
Orphaned believers, skeptical dreamers, you're welcome
Yeah, you're safe right here, you don't have to go

Cause all my favorite people are broken
Believe me, I should know
Some prayers are better left unspoken
I just want to hold you and let the rest go
 




 

2 comments:

  1. I love this piece, Jon! I looked up the song on youtube, It's a beautiful song and very talented artist. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I am so glad this piece brings you joy. So glad you looked up the song- OTR is a favorite group of mine. I have used their songs before in my blog posts! Enjoy your journey!

      Delete