Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Father’s Day Journeyman-A Peek-A-Boo-Project

My father and I had a complicated relationship but, in the end, we knew each was loved by other. He had bipolar disorder and died in July of 2011. I never knew him in his youth and he never knew me as the artist I am today. He worked as a clerk for 25 years at one of the local foundries. He served in WWII and was stationed in Germany. He loved driving and often wished that he was a mail carrier and did not have an office job. He provided for his family doing what was necessary and had a sense of humor that was outstanding and a love of singing in the church choir I will never forget. He is the inspiration of this instillation. I love you, dad!!
Supplies:  Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Truck 1, Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Truck 2,Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts-Wander Title, Acrylic Paint-Blue and Green Hues, Red Hues, Metallic Hues,  Vann Dyke Brown Hue, Repurposed Frames used for my Misunderstood Monsters and Mysterious Creatures Alphabet, Magazine Pictures, Scissors, Nutmeg, Chili Powder, Cheap Hairspray, Matte Gel Varnish Medium
2.  Paint on the trucks in Acrylic Paint in Blue and Green Hues the other in Red Hues, and the Wander Title in Metallic Hues using a dry brush technique.  Perfection is not what we are going for here, random is our desired effect.
 
 
3.  Add Van Dyke Brown Hue paint to the tires of the GSLC trucks.
4.   Once dry randomly add matte gel varnish medium in random places on the trucks adding nutmeg ang chili powder to create a rusted patina.

5.  Once you have achieved the desired look spray and seal with cheap hairspray.
6.  While they are drying search for magazine pictures of your choosing.
 7.  Measure and cut to fit inside of the frames you will be using.
8.  Seal all GSLC pieced with Matte Gel Varnish Medium.
9.  Once dry add to chosen frames they are ready for an extra special place in your home.
Some Final Thoughts.
 
I’ve always loved the quote by J. R. R. Tolkien that reads in part “Not all those who wander are lost”
It also states that “All that is gold does not glitter” From people looking in they would have said my relationship with my father was far from ideal, or that I was a lost soul never able to be redeemed. I grew up in a Baptist Home a strange sensitive child not fitting in the ethos and standards of our small rural country surroundings. I was teased and bullied relentlessly as a child and it was only in my senior year of high school that I found some acceptance among my athletic peers. I do not curse my childhood for it has made me the man I am today. I became a middle school teacher because I wanted to be the protector of the lost and lonely children as the wandered the hallways hoping to find a safe place to stay. I have received emails form former students telling me how I have influenced their lives, I’ve been nominated several years for Outstanding Teacher and been published as an artist in Somerset Studios.  I have a beautiful life and am a father figure to my students and a niece and a nephew. I have traveled to places in this world I could never have imagined as a country boy from rural Pennsylvania. I’ve become the man I think my father would be proud of, I see him in me when I look in the mirror, or make someone laugh, or drive down country roads, or sing joyfully, or pay the bills on time and make the most of what I have been given. I honor my father, Brady Harold Lowe by living my best life. Whenever I would go for one of my childhood walks my dad would always ask me upon returning, “So what did you see?” Let’s walk through this world with both eyes open expecting the best and never giving up on hope.  Happy Fathers Day!!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment